Friday, June 11, 2010

Drivetrain Update

With the chain breakage at Afton, I spent a little time looking into other options beyond SRAM and Shimano. I found some good reviews on the Connex chain by Wipperman. Much like the SRAM chains it has a special link for easy assembly. I am also a little leary that the quality of SRAM and Shimano isn't what it use to be with a majority of manufacturing in China. Wipperman is a German company that specializes in chains, so I thought I would give it a try. I will be installing a new cassette and chain tonight, and let you all know how it works.

My questions to you guys is, "how long do your chains last?" The chain I had fail was raced at Powder Monkey, Chequamegon 40, Jail Trial, Freewheel Frolic, and Afton. Plus I use this bike for all of my training. Is that too much to ask from a chain these days?

On a side note, I also threw some barends on the HG. I like it.

3 comments:

  1. I've been using chains about a season before changing it out. 1000 miles sounds about right. They say to change your chain more often so you don't have to replace rings and cassette as often.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't had a chain break in a long, long time. The only times i broke chains was back in high school when I used to pull the chain off the bike to clean it, then didn't use the special Shimano connector pin to re-assemble the chain. I learned my lesson back then and now I never take the chain off the bike. Now I only remove the chain just before it goes into the garbage. (or recycling)

    ReplyDelete