Monday, July 19, 2010

MNMBS #6 - Single Track Attack!

Best part of the race: No mud!
Worst part of the race: Heavy legs.

Elk River was a difficult race for me. I am struggling to find my form, and I suspect that I just need some time off. As of late, my legs feel tired all the time and I haven't been sleeping. A couple clear signs that I am over trained.

The conditions for the race could not have been much better. Most sections were firm and dry for some fast riding.

The rollout down the road and into the beginner section was fast. Out of the 28 riders (in 30-39 group) I hit the singletrack in 8th position. I maintained that position through most of the first advanced section, but was really struggling to keep a fast pace. In section 2 I hit a corner too fast and went down in some sand. I got up quickly and jumped on the bike to realize that my seat was 45 degrees off of straight. I don't have a quick release, so I had to pull the camelback off and fish out the 5mm wrench. All the while, group after group was passing me. I got back on the bike and put some hard effort in to make up some time. Not too far into section 3, I realized that the collar clamp for the seat was not tight enough and my seat was slowly going down. I stopped again to tighten the bolt and came to the realization that I was now riding for fun.

I finished lap 1 at a more moderate pace, and enjoyed the course. Back into section 1, one of the leaders from the old man group caught me, and was a real tool when he passed. I always let faster riders by as quickly as possible, and was trying to be accommodating to this guy. I guess Karma paid him back, because right after he passed we were flying through a fast downhill section and he went down on one of the corners.

I felt my legs for the first time in section 2 of the second lap, and started reeling other riders in. It felt good to start passing and really helped me keep the momentum up. I finished the race 13th out of 16 in the 35-39 AG and 79th out of 138 overall. Lap 1 time was 51:45 (with prologue). Lap 2 time was 41:58. I was 14:38 off the leader. Without the fall, I was on pace to finish 8th based on my lap 2 results being faster than than the 4 guys in front of me.

1 comment:

  1. Reading about everyone else racing is kind of nice, except when I think about how each race I miss is probably going to equal extra pain for the Dakota 5-0!

    ReplyDelete