Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Hot Glassed Stryker

I finished the fiberglass reinforcement of the Stryker airframe. I have to say that I am very happy with the final product. As described in my previous post, I used a 3/4 ounce glass fiber fabric along with a waterborne polyurethane. The first coating was watered down to saturate the fabric, while keeping the urethane from drying too quickly. I then added a second coat of WBPU mixed with baby powder (talc). I have read that by mixing the talc with the WBPU you fill the voids in the fiber resulting in a smooth - light weight finish. After the second coating I sanded the surface smooth. The texture of the fabric was beginning to dissappear. I recoated and sanded 2 more times for a total of 4 light coats. The resultant frame is solid and extremely smooth. Here is a closeup along with some of the other pictures I promised.






Final surface ready for paint.







Shaping the foam


Foam cutting for spar

Spar gluing













Filling post shaping

Filling elevon tabs













Glassing bottom

3 comments:

  1. Are you going to try painting it with regular spraypaint? I'd guess that the PU / fiberglass layer would protect the foam from the solvents in the paint. I've not been very satisfied with the Krylon H20.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will be painting with regular paint. I haven't seen any melt with the z-foam. It is a bigger issue with the styrene (bluecore).

    I need to weigh it, but it is minimal (2 oz?)

    ReplyDelete