Monday, March 21, 2011

Week In Review - "No Gloves"

This last week I started to get a little more motivated to ride. I think it was a culmination of a few different things; the weather was warmer, I am headed to Moab in a week, and I started to put together a racing schedule for the year. Training was easier, as I was able to get outside without bundling up. I put in 3 mile runs on Wednesday and Friday, rode 25 miles on Saturday, and put in some strength training throughout the week. By Sunday I was feeling that satisfying soreness that comes with a week of hard work.

The ride on Saturday was a ball buster. I was riding the single-speed and had to show some roadies how it worked. I pulled in behind a couple of guys on road bikes to draft for a while. I was feeling good, so I thought I would try to drop them, and bridge to the next guy about 1/2 a mile ahead. I put the hammer down and fell into a tough pace. The roadies put a little kick in, but I continued to pull away. It felt satisfying, but was a difficult pace. I continued to grind away until I reached freewheel bike, a good 8-10 miles of riding. It is then that I realized that I was clenching my teeth the whole time. My jaw was sore. I decided to grab a cup of coffee and stretch. The ride home was a little more relaxed, but still a great early season workout. One thing I noticed is that I didn't have any issues with hitting the wall (glycogen stores). I seem to have retained some muscle efficiency from last season.

The Niner has a new seat, and will have a new chain and handlebar shortly. I think it will be a few more weeks before I switch over to the non-Winter bike. Can't wait!

No comments:

Post a Comment