Monday, September 13, 2010

Pain Cave

I have been reading a few mtb racing blogs this summer and have found a new favorite phase: Pain Cave.

def. To dig deep into ones mental fortitude where physical exertion exceeds that of what is comfortable and safe.

It is a reoccurring theme in race recaps written by these elite athletes. I have started to explore my pain cave a little more, but in some cases I am fearful that I will break something. More spelunking required for next year.

It was a triple header this weekend for rides:
17 miles in the rain (Friday) - really sapped my energy trying to stay warm. Found the opening to the "pain cave".
13 miles on railroad bed with Jenny (Saturday) - got a couple hill sprints in, but for the most part it was a slow roll.
20 miles of flats into the wind (Sunday) - Entered pain cave on upwind stretch.

1 comment:

  1. I hope to soon re-enter the world of riding after taking a short siesta after the 5-0. I believe you need to do the 5-0 next year so you can fully plumb out the depths of your personal pain cave. I believe you'll find the pool of fire in the bottom of the cave to be deep and plentiful.

    ReplyDelete