Thursday, April 22, 2010

New Bike - Kinda

The Schwinn is getting a face lift for its second year of racing. Inspired by Mark Lalonde's "freak bike", and wanting to reduce the overall weight of my rig, I decided to go 69er. Careful, not that 69, the 69er setup with a 29 inch wheel at the front and a 26 inch wheel in back. The 69 setup doesn't reduce the weight of the bike, but it allows me to replace my heavy front shock with the bounce of a 29 inch wheel and rigid carbon fork. Here is a picture of ol' Blue before the facelift.

I'll have to weigh it before and after the transformation. It looks like a could cut 2 to 3 pounds from the bike, which would really help me push my up those hills. I guess I could finally take the rear rotor off the hub. I don't really need it for the v-brakes. Maybe I will get rid of the seatpost and seat. Who needs those....

5 comments:

  1. Fully rigid. I'm impressed. But that is because I am a full suspension sissy/wimp. I look forward to hearing how the new setup works.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, and the wheels too. They're heavy too. Just imagine how easy it'll be to carry your bike up hills without them!

    I think you should machine an adaptor for discs for ol' Blue. Then you can keep your disc on and drop the V's.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have been locking out the front so much, that is why I deceided to go rigid. I just wasn't using it.

    If I could find some old Hayes that are compatible with the 22mm bolt placement I might give that a try. When I think about it, the v-brakes were always more than adequate.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm just going to ride more to get faster. None of these fancy 69 stuff.

    Personally, I think you should drop V's and Discs altogether and go with a single speed coaster brake rear hub. Skiddin' is Livin'!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's a novel concept. Got to keep it interesting...

    ReplyDelete