Thursday, April 15, 2010

Flying Wing

After crashing beautiful Stryker, without even getting it in the air, I decided to go the cheap and easy route with my next series of builds. Andy sent me a link that describes a bluecore flying wing that uses 2 pieces of foam to form an airfoil. I built a 36" wingspan version last weekend with some success. After dialing in the controls and CG, the wing flew great. The problem is that I had a number of hard crashes, that eventually killed version 1.

Since I had the template for cutting version 1, I decided to move forward in building versions 2 and 3 for this weekend. I took what I learned from version 1, and made some simple modifications. Both versions will have pusher props with a stronger motor mount. Version 3 will have some surprise features to be debuted at the maiden flight. 

3 comments:

  1. Would the "surprise features" include a bomb drop or retractable landing gear? Either would be cool.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just picked up some foam core board from michael's. They have the white color stuff on sale for $0.99 per sheet!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We need to build a bungee airplane launcher. Just something simple to get the airspeed up above stall for brick models like the Super Stryker.

    ReplyDelete